Vegie Loaded Lasagne
Excellent source of vegetables
- 1kg lean beef/pork/turkey mince
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 200g mushrooms, diced
- 2 tblsp dried mixed herbs
- 800g canned diced tomatoes
- 2 zucchinis, grated
- 375g fresh lasagne sheets (can substitute for dried)
Microwave white sauce
- 60g butter
- 6 tblsp plain flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup grated cheese
1. Pre- heat oven to 180 degrees C & grease large lasagne dish.
2. In a large frying pan, fry onion, garlic and capsicum until softened.
3. Add mince and fry until browned then add remaining bolognaise ingredients and simmer until excess moisture has evaporated ~30 minutes.
4. In the meantime, make white sauce. In a large bowl melt butter in microwave ~40-60 seconds, then whisk in flour & microwave for a further 60 seconds, it will then appear crumbly.
5. Gradually add milk to butter & flour mixture whilst whisking, then whisk until smooth. Microwave for 2 minutes then whisk, to ensure the mixture thickens evenly rather than forming a gluggy mound on the bottom of the bowl. Microwave for a further 5 minutes or until thickened, whisking every minute. Stir through nutmeg, cheese & season with pepper.
6. Line lasagne tray with 1 layer of lasagne sheets then top with half of bolognaise, following by a third of white sauce. Repeat then top with the third layer of lasagne sheets & remaining white sauce. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden.
NOTE: If using dried lasagne sheets it may require longer, simply pierce with a knife to check pasta is soft, if not cover with foil to avoid burning & bake until pasta has softened.
Perfect served with a side of salad or steamed vegetables!